Causes and Symptoms of Liver Disease
The hepatic disease commonly referred to as liver disease damages the liver and inhibits the proper functioning if it. Millions of people all over the world are affected by a suit of deadly diseases affecting this vital organ.
Before understanding the causes and symptoms of these diseases, let us first understand the various functionalities of this all-important organ. The liver is both an organ and a gland which is responsible for a number of chemical processes which are essential for our survival. Some of the many functions of the liver are as follows-
- It produces bile which is required in the digestion of food.
- It helps balance glucose levels in the body (which stores extra sugar/glucose)
- It produces amino acids which are the building blocks for proteins and help ward off infection
- It also helps produce cholesterol and other chemicals required for fat transportation within the body
- It also helps in the conversion of waste products into urea
- It helps in the production of red blood cells
- It also helps in maintaining the metabolism of our body
Thus, it goes without saying that keeping the liver in good health should be of prime importance to us. Now that we have understood the functions of the liver let us now understand the causes of liver disease/damage. Liver damage/illness can be caused due to any one of the following reasons-
- Consumption of certain drugs (Vicodin, Norco, statins, etc.) over a period can lead to liver damage
- Alcohol abuse is one of the most common reasons behind liver damage. Excessive consumption of alcohol is directly toxic to liver cells, can lead to inflammation ( alcoholic hepatitis) and fat accumulation in the most chronic of cases.
- Fat accumulation in the liver due to unhealthy lifestyles (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease)
- Other viruses such as Epstein-Barr virus (infectious mononucleosis) can also damage the liver and can cause inflammation
- Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E and iron overload are some of the other causes of liver damage and disease.
Now that we have understood the causes of liver diseases, the next step is to take action to mitigate against such deadly diseases. One can only take the necessary measures if one can identify the symptoms of liver diseases. Thus, the following are some of the symptoms of liver diseases-
- Fatigue and Weakness
- Weight loss is another symptom
- Abdominal pain
- Lack of Appetite
- Jaundice (yellow discoloration of the skin)
- Fall in the metabolism rates of the body
- Low immunity
- May also lead to imbalance in sex hormones
- Muscle wasting may occur because of decreased protein production
It is imperative to identify the symptoms of liver damage/disease well in advance. The liver as mentioned above is a vital organ/gland of our body which conducts many important chemical processes in our body. Its inability to function greatly hampers our lifestyle and day to day activities. Thus, identification and following treatment of liver diseases are of great importance for a sustainable and healthy life.
Some things that you can do to treat your liver condition is to abstain from drinking alcohol, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, to monitor the medications that you consume and so on and henceforth. The treatment for chronic conditions might be allopathic or ayurvedic.
While allopathic medicines might have a number of side effects over the years, a better path to treat yourself is to tread down the ayurvedic path. A great ayurvedic drug along similar lines is Amlycure syrup/ tablets. The powerful drug which has been created after long years of research is a cross between age-old ayurvedic cures and new-age cutting edge science. It is highly effective and efficient in fighting off liver damage and diseases.